Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Peek into My Struggles with Fear

To someone who struggles with fear like I do, the phrase, “Don’t be afraid” doesn’t really help. In fact, it tends to produce even more fear. What I would much rather hear is an explanation of what is going or not going to happen, so I can judge for myself if fear is in order. Or at least I would rather hear, from someone I trust, everything will be ok, that I have nothing to even be afraid of. Most of the time, even when I receive reassurance, it’s from people who have no power to change outcome of events anyway. Not very reassuring in the least…

Why does the Bible have so many passages stating, as a command, “Don’t be afraid”?

Could it be that I need to see who is saying it? When people in the Bible were told not to be afraid, it was usually by someone in authority – Moses, angels, even Christ himself. The people saying “Don’t be afraid” either had authority to do something about it, or knew someone who did. Those who say “Don’t be afraid” usually know more of the story’s end than the one who is afraid.

How could Christ have said, “Don’t be afraid” to men who were in a boat that was about to capsize? He had to have known more in the situation than they did.

I think when God asks us not to be afraid, it’s because he knows more than we do, and he knows that nothing has the power to seriously harm us, even the worst possible outcome – death itself. As the creator of the universe, is he worth trusting?

Something that’s really helped me with this is, believe it or not, a picture of two horses. I have a painting at home, and it pictures a baby horse nuzzling upward to her mother. The mother in the painting looks very strong. There is a verse with the painting, Isaiah 66:13, “As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you.” When I feel nervous, knowing that I can be comforted is a great help. When a mother comforts her baby, she usually has more knowledge than the baby. This is similar to God, on a much greater scale. He has greater knowledge of every situation. When he asks us not to be afraid, it’s not a stern command, but comforting strength.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is very true and for someone who doesn't constantly struggle with this it is a good reminder that we are to look outside ourselves for peace. It is true that the Lord knows more than us and that we can count on Him to conquer and comfort our fears. As a father who can take care of us better than we sometimes think He can it's a better approach to listen to his command of "Do not be afraid" than to think we can do it on our own.

Betsy said...

I really like the description of the horse painting! That's a great visual picture of how God loves and protects us.